What two hours beside a Black-winged Kite
taught me about the real cost of skilled care
Opinion: This article reflects my personal view and does not necessarily represent the official position of Parys WADER.
On Monday, 24 August
2026, I had the privilege of standing in a veterinary theatre beside our
consulting veterinarian while he treated a Black-winged Kite. A rescuer had
found the bird trapped against a farm fence. In its struggle to escape, the
kite had damaged the soft tissue around one wing.
The bird arrived at our
rehabilitation facility on the Sunday. We cannot afford routine after-hours
emergency veterinary services, so I cleaned the wound as carefully as I could,
provided basic care, and waited for the practice to open the following morning.
We still needed the veterinarian to examine the wing properly, clean the injury
more thoroughly, and check for damage that I could not see.
He started by anaesthetising the kite in a
gas chamber. He stayed with the bird and monitored it while the anaesthetic
took effect, which took about 20 minutes. He then took an X-ray to rule out
broken bones before spending roughly half an hour cleaning the wound, removing
dead tissue, and preparing the area so that I could continue treatment under
his supervision. During that process, he found a small tear in the soft tissue
and stitched it. He dressed the wing, prepared the medication, and watched the
kite through recovery.
The entire process took about two hours.
That matters, because people often see a
veterinary bill without seeing what happened before the total appeared at the
bottom. They may imagine a quick examination, a little medication, and ten
minutes of a veterinarian's time. That is not what happened in this case.
Why I do not consider this expensive
The practice billed us R965.10 for the
Black-winged Kite's treatment. For that amount, a skilled veterinarian spent
about two hours anaesthetising the bird, cleaning and assessing the wound,
stitching the damaged tissue, dressing the wing, taking an X-ray, preparing
medication, and monitoring recovery. They did not charge us a consultation fee.
The previous month, veterinary treatment
for a Black-headed Heron amounted to R1,077.80. That care included anaesthesia,
medication, suture material, surgery, and recovery food. Once again, the
practice did not charge for the consultation.
I do not consider either amount expensive
for the work involved.
Some of our supporters ask why we do not
receive free veterinary support. I understand the question. They want Parys
WADER's limited funds to help as many birds as possible, and they know that
veterinary expenses can place pressure on a small rehabilitation facility.
However, I do not believe that a veterinarian should have to work for free
because the patient is a wild bird, or because a non-profit organisation
brought it through the door.
We already receive meaningful support from
our consulting practice and I appreciate every discount and every waived fee. I
regard those concessions as voluntary contributions to our work, not as
something we should expect or demand.
We pay for knowledge, not only time
A South African veterinarian studies
full-time for at least six years to complete the Bachelor of Veterinary Science
degree. After graduation, the veterinarian must register with the South African
Veterinary Council and complete one year of compulsory community service. By
then, at least seven years have passed since the student first entered
university. Experience with difficult cases, specialised equipment, and less
familiar species takes even longer to build.
The learning never stops. The South African
Veterinary Council requires registered veterinary professionals to continue
developing and documenting their knowledge and skills. Veterinarians attend
conferences and seminars, study new treatment methods, learn to use new
equipment, and keep up with changes in medicines and clinical practice.
I have seen the shelves of veterinary books
at our consulting practice. It is an impressive working library, and those
books did not arrive for free. Neither did the knowledge inside them. When I
pay a veterinary bill, I am paying for the years of study, practical
experience, additional reading, and careful judgement that allow a veterinarian
to make the right decision when a fragile wild bird lies on the table.
A veterinary practice also has bills to pay
Our consulting practice has four
veterinarians. Two mainly treat small animals, while the other two work with
agricultural animals. They do not work alone. A veterinary practice needs
staff, suitable premises, administration, medicines, consumables, and reliable
equipment before any veterinarian can help the animal in front of them.
During the kite's treatment, the
veterinarian used an anaesthetic system, surgical instruments, an X-ray unit,
medication, suture material, and bandages. The practice must buy, clean,
maintain, service, stock, and eventually replace those items. It must pay its
staff, keep the lights on, and meet the professional standards that apply to a
registered veterinary facility. The fee does not simply become personal income
for the veterinarian who treated the bird.
A practice that gives away too much
professional time and too many resources will eventually struggle to remain
open. Then it cannot help wildlife, domestic animals, or livestock.
This is why I hold a very strong personal
view: veterinary services are not a charity, and they should not become one,
even when the client is a charity. A veterinarian may choose to donate time or
waive a fee. That generosity can make an enormous difference to us. But the
choice belongs to the veterinarian and the practice. It should never become an
expectation attached to every wildlife case.
Someone still has to fund the rescue
When a veterinary practice waives a fee,
the cost does not disappear. The practice absorbs it by contributing the
veterinarian’s time, equipment, medication, bandages, and expertise. Someone
still carries the bill, and I am willing to pay a fair fee for professional
veterinary care.
What the public does not always realise is
that Parys WADER needs its supporters to make that payment possible. The
organisation cannot admit and care for injured birds if its bank account cannot
cover the treatment they may need.
I have also made a deliberate decision not
to use my private income to keep the rehabilitation facility running. I care
deeply about every bird that enters our care, but an organisation cannot build
a sustainable service around one person's household finances. Parys WADER must
work within a responsible budget, account for every contribution, and make
honest decisions about what it can afford.
Once I accept a bird, I accept
responsibility for far more than a safe box and a bowl of food. The bird may
need an examination, X-rays, surgery, medication, follow-up visits,
species-appropriate food, heat, clean housing, enrichment, physical therapy, and
weeks or months of care. I cannot promise that care if the organisation does
not have the funds to provide it.
Words of thanks from the community mean a
great deal to me. They tell me that people see the work and value it. But words
cannot pay a veterinary bill.
Public support turns concern into
treatment. Corporate support turns environmental promises into practical
conservation. A monthly contribution, funding for emergency cases, or the
decision to cover one veterinary bill gives us the means to act when the next
injured bird arrives.
If you believe the work at Parys WADER should
continue, please help us carry the real cost of rescue. Your contribution
becomes veterinary care, medication, food, recovery, and, when everything goes
well, another chance for a wild bird to return to the sky.
Banking details
Account name: PARYS WADER
Bank: Capitec Business
Account type: Capitec Business Account
Account number: 1054348650
Branch code: 450105
SWIFT address: CABLZAJJ
References and further reading
University of Pretoria. Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc), 2026.
University of Pretoria. Bachelor of Veterinary Science programme information, 2026.
South African Veterinary Council. Practising as a veterinarian.
South African Veterinary Council. Continuing Professional Development.
Comments
Post a Comment